With fall in full swing the last of the years festivals, carnivals and such are happening now. I don’t know about the rest of the country but here in the Midwest funnel cakes are always a part of these things. There is just something about sharing a funnel cake with friends or family. The fried dough coated with powdered sugar is such a simple yet yummy treat. Who can resist? Some places even make them into sundaes. Topping the already heavenly treats with ice cream and toppings.
I decided that I wanted to make something different from the standard funnel cake though. I wanted it to be fully fall in flavoring. I decided to go make it an apple cider funnel cake seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg to give that full fall flavor. Then instead of just topping it simple powdered sugar, I opted to top it with that and cinnamon sugar. Now these were good just like that but I really wanted to take it to a whole other place and I did with an apple pie sundae on top. Oh goodness, but that was some really good stuff!
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 c. apple cider
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar
- cinnamon sugar
- vanilla ice cream
- apple pie filling, warmed
- Beat the eggs and sugar with a whisk. Slowly pour in and whisk the milk and apple cider. Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Heat about one inch of oil to 300° in a heavy bottom pot. Using a funnel, pastry bag or baggie that has been filled with the batter and the end or corner snipped, create a circular pattern overlapping the batter. Fry for a minute or two on each side. Remove to paper towels do drain and then top with powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar.
- To assemble place a funnel cake on a plate. Top with ice cream, warm apple pie filling and some more cinnamon sugar and whipped cream.
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017
- 20 Beauty and the Beast Makes & Bakes - March 6, 2017
- 10 Ways to Make Those New Heels Feel More Comfortable - March 1, 2017