One year ago today I went live with a blog on WordPress.com to share my recipe creations, baking adventures and family life with friends and family. I never really expected much to come out of this whole blogging thing. I figured, maybe a few people I knew might on occasion read something I wrote about. I never expected to have followers on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Bloglovin, FeedBurner etc. I had no idea about media kits, Klout scores, Google and Alexia rankings. I had no idea what the difference was between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. Basically, I went into this thing much more clueless than I ever thought I was.
Then I went to BlogHer ’13 and oh lordy, did a learn a thing or two thousand! I came home after that with a new found determination to make a real go of this blogging thing and within days I had a new site design and was moved to self-hosted WordPress.org. Since the end of July I have been working my tushy off making what was my vague dream into a reality.
Now, in the scheme of things I am still a very small fish but I am growing every single day with the support of family, friends, other bloggers, companies willing to take a chance on my blog and of course and most importantly my readers. So thank you for sticking with me this year and hopefully you will continue to enjoy the blog for a long time to come.
To celebrate my blogiversary I decided to put together a compilation of my favorite recipes from the past year. It was hard to decide which ones to pick and goodness but you can tell my photography has come a long way in one short year.
- Caramel Apple Pie Chex Mix
- One Bowl Yellow Cake
- Chocolate Almond Cake
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes
- Brown Sugar Apple Cupcakes
- Snickerdoodle Blondies
- Faux Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
- Cherry Almond Scones
- Meyer Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- White Chocolate Passion Fruit Cake
- Pumpkin Spice M&M Cookies
- Horchata Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Monster Cookies
- Biscoff Cannolis
- Apple Cinnamon Donuts
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches
Every celebration needs a cake and this one is no different. In honor of my blogiversary I made a caramel cake and let me tell you, it is SO unbelievably good! I had the joy of having it for breakfast this morning. I know not very healthy but today is a party for me. So enough yammering, onto the cake.
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. caramel flavoring
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp.+ 8 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray two 9" in cake pans with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment sift together the dry ingredients. Add the butter, milk and caramel to the bowl and beat on medium for 3-4 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. Add in the eggs and beat again for another 3 minutes on medium.
- Evenly pour into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then flip pans and continue to cool cake on wire rack until completely cooled.
- In a saucepan, using a whisk, stir together the brown sugar, cream and butter over medium heat. Continue stirring for 5 minutes. If it starts to bubble up to high remove from heat for a minute and lower temperature a bit. Add in the vanilla and continue stirring for another 5 minutes. Pour the caramel into the bowl of your mixer and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. It will thicken up.
- Using the whisk attachment for your stand mixer beat the caramel for a minute on medium speed and then add in the remaining butter. Beat until no visible butter lumps remain, about 3 minutes at medium speed. Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low until incorporated. Add in the other half of the powdered sugar and mix again on low. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the cream. Beat on medium-high for 3-5 minutes until creamy and fluffy.
- Use to fill and frost the cake.
Every party needs presents too and this one is no different. I have a big prize package that contains a ton of things to make your baking pretty. Whether you use boxed mixes or from scratch these items will definitely help make your treats stand out. There will be more giveaways this month to help celebrate all month long so make sure you visit often.