Sometimes a sugar craving hits in the blink of an eye and sometimes you realize that you have nothing to satisfy that craving with at the moment. What are you to do then? Cookies, cupcakes, cakes, brownies all take way to long to make, you may not have all the ingredients and you need sugar like ten minutes ago! That is when quick no-bake desserts with a few ingredients are the perfect choice. Cereal treat bars are great for this reason. They’re quick, no-bake and usually just a few ingredients that often times you already have on hand at home. This is how Caramel Chocolate Cereal Treats were born.
My favorite dessert no matter how many I try is Krispie Treats. I know that’s probably sad to say but I can’t help it. They are a simple yet tasty 3 ingredient treat that I can always whip up in a pinch. I also like being able to make them seasonal with coloring or adding some other flavors. These particular ones came about because I love the combination of chocolate and caramel and I really wanted to see if these would hold or be to gooey and a mess. I’m not going to lie. They are stickier than a regular cereal treat but not much. Besides, that just means you get to lick the caramely, chocolatey goodness off your fingers when you are done.
- 34 regular marshmallows (not small or jumbo)
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. caramel sauce (I used Smucker's Hot Caramel Sauce)
- 6 c. sweetened chocolate rice cereal
- Grease a pan, you can use a 9x9 or a 9x13 depending on how thick you want them to be when finished.
- Place the first three ingredients into a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 60-80 seconds. Stir until everything is combined and smooth. Pour in the cereal and mix to thoroughly coat the cereal.
- Press into pan and then cool in the refrigerator and then cut and serve.
- To store these, separate any layers with waxed paper and refrigerate in an airtight container.