S’mores are a summer and fall staple treat in our house. The crunch of the graham crackers, the gooey roasted marshmallows and melted chocolate make for a simple and yet delicious fireside treat.What do you do though when it’s to cold to sit outside and make s’mores around a campfire or fire pit? Why you make these deliciously, decadent S’mores Truffle Bars of course!
These S’mores Truffle Bars take a simple childhood treat and elevate them to an adult bit of heaven! To make them though you need to get all of the ingredients. For that, I like to head to Big Lots. Big Lots is one of my favorite places to do some damage to my bank account!
While I do love Big Lots for all of the housewares, health & beauty, furniture and seasonal items they carry, it’s always the grocery department that has me coming back again and again.
If you aren’t familiar with Big Lots grocery section then let me tell you a bit about why I love it! For a baker like me they carry all of the staples and brands including a huge selection of Bob’s Red Mill products I need to make my tasty treats and wow family and friends. Styles and assortment vary by store.
Big Lots always has a great selection of holiday and seasonal food items. Food items that are sure to make any celebration you throw a hit.
That’s not all though, Big Lots has the best selection of foods from around the world in my area. I always head there when I am looking for European, Hispanic and Italian foods that my regular grocery store doesn’t stock.
The last time I went I was able to pick up the ingredients to make my Decadent S’mores Truffle Bars recipe. This dessert is so good that you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make!
Am I the only one that thinks crushing stuff by hand is so much better than using a food processor? Oh, the blessed stress relief!
Brown sugar, cinnamon, crushed graham crackers and melted butter create the crust.
I prefer to use brown sugar and cinnamon over regular sugar in my graham cracker crusts because it gives it a better flavor in my opinion.
The truffle center is so easy you will not even believe it! Some semi-sweet chocolate chips, vanilla and sweetened condensed milk are all you need.
To make it even simpler you can melt the truffle mixture in the microwave.
No s’mores treat would be complete without gooey, toasted marshmallows.
Once everything has time to set you get three, delicious layers of YUM!
Slice the bars into 16 2″ squares and prepare to WOW those lucky people in your life you chose to share them with!
These S’mores Truffle Bars even make a great gift! Just pick up some holiday food packaging items at Big Lots.
- 1 1/2 c. Graham Cracker Crumbs, ground or crushed
- 1/3 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 12 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 c. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375° and line an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" pan with parchment paper so that you have an overhang of a few inches on two sides. This will help with removing the dessert from the pan later. Spray the sides of the pan and the parchment paper with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, melted butter and cinnamon. Using a fork or your hands combine all of the ingredients. Everything should be coated in butter and damp.
- Pour the graham cracker mix into the prepared pan. Press firmly into place. The bottom of a glass should help to make this easier. Bake for seven minutes. Do not over bake! Cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Microwave on 50% power for 45 seconds. Stir the mixture. If not completely melted microwave again on 50% for another 30 seconds. Do this until you can stir it and everything is melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the graham cracker crust and spread evenly. Top with the marshmallows.
- Place under the broiler until the marshmallows are browned and toasted. Watch this carefully so they do not burn.
- Let the dessert set for a few hours so that the chocolate layer can firm up. Cut into 16 2" squares and serve.
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Margarita Cupcakes- a Sweet Treat Inspired by a Tasty Drink - April 23, 2017
- PEEPS® the Iconic Easter Candy - April 1, 2017
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017