When I was a kid I was sure I hated pumpkin as a food and flavor. I mean I had been forced to endure my fair share of pumpkin pie and I hated it. The thing was though that pumpkin pie was the only way I was ever exposed to pumpkin. It was not until I was in my mid thirties that I tried pumpkin as anything other than pie and when I did I was shocked. I liked pumpkin! I mean I really, really liked pumpkin. I tried other pumpkin things and I liked them too. It was only pumpkin pie that I had an aversion to and still do for some reason. I think my aversion to pumpkin pie though stems from the fact that my birthday often falls on Thanksgiving and what little girl wants pumpkin pie instead of a pretty cake? Now if someone had given me this Gooey Butter Pumpkin Cake for a birthday I might have overlooked the fact that it was not pretty but it sure does taste amazing!
I know half the U.S. population hates pumpkin like I used to and the other half are pumpkin addicts who can’t wait for summer to end and fall to start just to get their hands on all that is pumpkin. I like to help those people out and so every year now I try to come up with a new take on pumpkin to share with family and friends during the fall. This year is no exception but, I wanted something that could easily be thrown together when there is a ton of other stuff in life keeping me busy and starting with a box cake mix fit the bill for that. This recipe comes together in minutes and then you just bake, cool and serve. How much easier can you get in life and on top of that it is so unbelievably good that it will definitely impress your friends and family.
- 1 15.25 oz. box of yellow cake mix
- ½ c. butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 3.4 oz. box of pumpkin spice instant pudding
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 8 oz. pumpkin spice cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 pan with baking spray. Mix cake mix, melted butter, pumpkin spice instant pudding mix, vanilla, and 2 eggs on low speed until combined. Press into the prepared pan.
- Mix pumpkin spice cream cheese, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice with an electric mixer. Slowly beat in confectioner's sugar mixing until combined. Pour and spread evenly over the cake layer.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan and then cut and serve.
So tell me, are you pro or con pumpkin everything?
My favorite baking pan for this recipe:
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017
- 20 Beauty and the Beast Makes & Bakes - March 6, 2017
- 10 Ways to Make Those New Heels Feel More Comfortable - March 1, 2017