St. Patrick’s Day will be arriving in five short days. My oldest is probably preparing to drink himself silly this weekend at college in celebration. The ones in high school probably don’t care much and neither does my 9-year-old but my 5 & 6-year-old are excited! They have been making projects at school and watching me make stuff around here for St. Patrick’s Day as well. So I made them some Leprechaun Chocolate Marshmallow Popcorn as a treat and told them about the leprechauns.
As I’m sure you know, leprechauns are part of Irish folklore and believed to be fairies and short in stature. They like to make shoes and to save up all their gold in a hidden pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They are also known for their love of mischief. That’s right, they are just like small children sneaking about being naughty. If you catch one though, legend says that they will grant you three wishes in exchange for their freedom. Many people have tried to catch a leprechaun, setting all sorts of traps for them but I don’t know any who have ever succeeded because leprechauns are such a wily lot. So instead of trying to catch one, I made a special snack just for them. This snack will give them sticky fingers to help with collecting their gold coins and with any mischief that may require sticky fingers.
So we left a bowl of the popcorn out to see if any leprechauns would stop by for some last night. Luckily, we had a lot of snow and a local leprechaun must have wanted to warm himself up because when we woke up this morning we knew one had eaten some of our popcorn. Popcorn was out of the bowl and a bit of a mess was made and the silly leprechaun left his hat behind. My kids thought it was funny and have been taking turns wearing his hat. So if you want to have some St. Patrick’s Day fun with your little ones make them some leprechaun chocolate marshmallow popcorn and maybe you too can have a leprechaun come visit.
- 1/3 c. popcorn kernels popped
- 2 tbsp. salted butter
- 1/2 c. marshmallow creme
- 6 oz. green Wilton Melts
- 6 oz. marshmallow Wilton Melts
- green, gold and white sprinkles
- Remove all kernels that did not pop from the popcorn. Place the popcorn onto a baking sheet that is lined with wax paper. Place the butter and marshmallow creme into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30-40 seconds. Stir the butter and marshmallow creme until combined and smooth. Pour it over the popcorn and then use your hands to lightly toss the popcorn together so that it all has a little bit of the marshmallow mixture. Following the package instructions, microwave your candy melts and then drizzle the melted chocolate over the popcorn. I melted mine in pastry bags and then snipped the ends to make cleanup and drizzling easier. Sprinkle with the sprinkles and then let the popcorn sit so that the chocolate can setup.
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Margarita Cupcakes- a Sweet Treat Inspired by a Tasty Drink - April 23, 2017
- PEEPS® the Iconic Easter Candy - April 1, 2017
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017