My absolute favorite meat to eat is chicken so even when trying to cook for a crowd I often skip the usual standards of turkey, ham or a pricey beef dish. Instead I opt for chicken and wow people with flavor. My family’s absolute favorite chicken dish I make is Mediterranean Chicken and Potatoes. It’s a great, hearty meal that will have your whole house smelling ah-mazing and the whole family drooling before the meal is even served. That’s one of the reasons I love serving this to guests. When they walk in the door they are greeted by a yummy aroma and know they are about to be served up a delicious meal that will make them think you worked super hard and spent a ton of money when in reality that couldn’t be further from the truth.
This is a dish that is easy to prepare and doesn’t keep you chained to the stove. Meaning, you put it in the oven and only need to go back a couple of times to add the chicken and check to see when it’s done. This allows you to work on preparing the rest of the edibles, doing any last-minute cleaning and getting yourself ready. While this dish may seem simple it is extremely flavorful with juicy, fork tender chicken and caramelized potatoes. You will definitely please even the pickiest of eaters. Honestly, the carmelized potatoes in this dish are one of my favorite foods to eat. The main recipe will serve 4-5 people but can easily be doubled or tripled for larger groups. I would make a bit extra though as this one will definitely have people asking for seconds and you will want to have some leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 lemon
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. season salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6-7 yukon gold medium sized potatoes
- ½ c. water
- ½ c. olive oil
- ½ c. water
- Juice one lemon into a bowl and set aside. Combine all of the seasonings in a bowl and set aside. Trim the chicken if needed and then place in a bowl. Add half of the lemon juice and seasoning mix. Massage into chicken and then place the bowl into the refrigerator.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters lengthwise and place in a 9x13 baking dish. Combine the olive oil, water, remaining lemon juice and seasoning mix and then poor over the potatoes. Stir together to thoroughly coat the potatoes.
- Place pan into cold oven and turn the heat to 475°. Bake potatoes for 30-40 minutes. Give the potatoes a stir and push the potatoes to the sides of the pan to make room for the chicken in the center. Add another ½ c. water to the pan.
- Add the chicken to the pan, making sure the top side of the chicken breasts are down. Return pan to oven and roast chicken until the side facing down is golden brown, 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Then turn the chicken over, turn the potatoes and turn off the even. Let the pan rest in the hot oven for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and plate up the food on a serving platter. Pour pan juices over the the top and cover and let rest for a few minutes before serving.
Do you have a favorite recipe you like to serve guests?
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017
- 20 Beauty and the Beast Makes & Bakes - March 6, 2017
- 10 Ways to Make Those New Heels Feel More Comfortable - March 1, 2017