It’s Veteran’s Day here in the good old U.S. of A. and yesterday was my parent’s 41st wedding anniversary as well. My dad was in the Navy and stationed in Virginia when they were married and my younger sister and I were both born in a Naval hospital. We even have state and military birth certificates. It’s kind of cool to have that military one! Anyway, I decided last night that I was going to bake and share a brand new treat with you all in honor of these two very important things in my life. Since Thanksgiving is coming up though so I wanted to create a dessert that would go perfectly for that friends and family filed holiday too. That’s how I came up these Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Bars. So today I say thank you to all of our military members past, present and future for all that you do and have done and all that you and your families sacrifice to keep us safe. I’d also like to thank my parents for getting married because without that one I wouldn’t be here today.
These bars turned out to be such a rich, decadent treat! They were full of pumpkin spice flavor that brings to mind all things fall but it is not done in an overpowering fashion. The addition of the cream cheese takes these from your standard, run of the mill blondies to something that is rich and oh so tasty. The glaze just adds the perfect finishing touch to the bars and adds another level of sweetness.
I really liked the addition of the pumpkin spice morsels. It gave the bars a pretty little pop of orange color throughout. The really hard while baking these was keeping my 5-year old from eating all of the pumpkin spice morsels before I could get them mixed into the dough.
- 2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 c. salted butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 lrg. egg
- 1 10 oz. pkg. Nestle Pumpkin Spice Morsels
- 1 c. confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9"x13" pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in the egg on low until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in two batches and then mix on medium speed for a minute. Stir in the pumpkin spice morsels.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the middle has set. Let the bars cool for 30 minutes. When they are almost cool make the glaze.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice, milk and vanilla until smooth. Once the bars are cooled spread the glaze over the top. Cut the bars into 2" squares and serve. Store in an airtight container.
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Margarita Cupcakes- a Sweet Treat Inspired by a Tasty Drink - April 23, 2017
- PEEPS® the Iconic Easter Candy - April 1, 2017
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017