I always like to have some quick and easy recipes on hand that can be thrown together in no time at all for surprise guests or visitors. Throughout the year you can often get surprise visitors but it definitely seems to happen more for me during the holiday seasons. I think it’s because family comes into town and my husband forgets to tell me that people are coming by but it’s okay now. I used to freak out about not being prepared for surprise guests but now I just roll with it and have developed some recipes that are quick, easy and pretty much made out of pantry staples.
When people pop in for a visit I like to have a quick dessert that is great to share while sitting around the table chatting with friends and family. Something that can be tossed together in minutes and cooked while you are getting your company settled and that you don’t have to hover over. I like to serve something that is a comfort food and gives people a nice homey feeling and during the cold months I like a nice warm treat. So one of my favorite, quick go to recipes is my Quick Fruit Cobbler. It’s assembled in minutes and then you just pop it in the oven and then serve, usually with some ice cream. This recipe is so simple that even someone who has never cooked could manage to make it with no problems.
If you’d like to make this even better make it with some homemade pie filling. You can follow the link to get my recipe for Simple Homemade Cherry Pie Filling which is quick, easy and delicious.
- 1 c. + 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. butter, melted (I use salted)
- 1 can of fruit pie filling (e.g. cherry, apple, peach, blueberry, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and stir them to combine. Pour the melted butter into the dry ingredients and stir with a fork to combine. It will turn into large crumbs. Pour the pie filling into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan and then evenly sprinkle the crumbs over the top to cover completely.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve warm with some ice cream.
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Corner Bakery Choose Any Two Pairings Plus a Giveaway - January 19, 2017
- Ginger Bark a Deliciously Addictive Holiday Treat - December 24, 2016
- How To Make Your Trip To New York City Absolutely Amazing - December 21, 2016