With the end of the year quickly approaching I know that many of you may have New Year’s resolutions floating in the back of your mind. For many the very first resolution they think of is to lose weight, exercise and be healthier. This can seem like a major undertaking coming on the tail end of Christmas but it can be easier. You can make little changes like swapping out sugar in your foods and drinks and using Splenda instead. Being a part of the SPLENDA 365 SWEET SWAPS will help you reduce your dietary sugar. This way you can still indulge through the holidays as you normally would but with less sugar in your baked goods and drinks you are already making an improvement for your waistline.
Sugar is a sneaky little thing! It tastes so good in so many things and without even realizing it indulging in a few sweet treats can quickly pile on the calories each day. It’s so easy to say that one little cookie, cupcake, candy bar or soda won’t hurt but did you know that the average American consumes more than 22 teaspoons of sugar a day? That is nearly a 1/2 cup of sugar a day! Each of those teaspoons is 16 calories which may not seem like much but when you multiply that by 22 it’s a whopping 352 unnecessary calories in your daily diet!
Luckily, there are alternate options out there to eliminate some of those unwanted calories from your diet and take back some of your control over the sugar you consume. I decided to be a part of the SPLENDA 365 SWEET SWAPS and take one of my recipes and cut out some of that pesky, unwanted sugar. I decided to do this with a favorite cookie recipe in my house that gets made a lot throughout the year and is a perfect holiday cookie for kids. I remade my Candy Coated Chocolate Cookies using Splenda Sugar Blend.
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1 c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 c. Splenda Sugar Blend
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 tbsp. instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 11 oz. pkg. mini candy coated chocolates
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter, brown sugar, Splenda Sugar Blend on medium- high, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the pudding mix, flour, salt and baking powder just until combined. Stir in the mini candy coated chocolates.
- Use a standard cookie scoop to scoop out dough. Place on the prepared baking sheets and lightly press the dough down to flatten it some so they spread properly. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes. The cookies may look like they need to bake longer but do not. Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the pan for five minutes. The sugar continues to cook the cookies while they are cooling. This will ensure a soft and chewy cookie.
Do you have a great recipe that uses Splenda instead? If so head on over to the Splenda 365 Sweet Swaps page and submit your made with less sugar recipes and you could see your recipe featured on their website!
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017
- 20 Beauty and the Beast Makes & Bakes - March 6, 2017
- 10 Ways to Make Those New Heels Feel More Comfortable - March 1, 2017