The big game is less than two weeks away! So that means it is time to start planning your Super Bowl party if you haven’t already. If you aren’t hosting the party then maybe you need something to bring with you to another party instead. Whatever the case may be you can’t go wrong with popcorn. It is an easy party food that you can grab by the handful and munch on. What makes the popcorn even better though is making it into something special. I am talking about Vanilla Salted Caramel Corn, oh yeah! This is all kinds of yum!
This is actually a very quick and easy recipe to put together and the results are so good that people will think you bought it. This recipe makes a nice flavorful caramel and then topping it with vanilla fleur de sel adds just that little bit of something extra. If you are wondering what vanilla fleur de sel is, it’s a sea salt that is mixed with ground vanilla beans. I happen to have gotten mine from Beanilla. There are plenty of other companies that make this too.
The other great thing about this recipe is that it can also make a great Valentine’s Day treat for your special someone or for the kids to hand out to their teachers.
- 1/2 c. popcorn kernels
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-2 tsp. vanilla fleur de sel
- Pop the popcorn in a hot air popper. You may need to do this in two batches depending on your popper. Divide the popcorn into two large mixing bowls and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the corn syrup and water. Carefully add in the brown sugar. Try not to get any of the sugar on the sides of the pan. It can crystallize and ruin the caramel. Gently stir in the brown sugar. It will begin to melt into the mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil and using a candy thermometer boil it until it reaches 235-245°. Add in the baking soda and stir. The mixture will begin to bubble up so be careful. Remove the pot form the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour half of the mixture of each of the two bowls of popcorn. Using a silicone spatula fold the caramel into the popcorn. Once it is completely coated sprinkle with the vanilla fleur de sel and then fold the salt into the popcorn.
- If you do not have vanilla fleur de sel you can always use regular fleur de sel if you want it to have a bit of saltiness or you can skip the salt entirely.
- Try to remove all unpopped kernels after popping. This will just make it easier on people when they try to eat the caramel corn.
Do you watch the Super Bowl for the game, the commercials or the half-time show?
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017
- 20 Beauty and the Beast Makes & Bakes - March 6, 2017
- 10 Ways to Make Those New Heels Feel More Comfortable - March 1, 2017