My paternal grandma was Mexican and I lived for holidays as a kid because that meant we got to eat tamales, chicken mole and whatever other food creations she made for the entire family. She didn’t do this all the time because you see my dad was one of twelve children. Now add-on grandchildren and great-grandchildren and the numbers were staggering. This truly is one of the memories I love most from each year growing up. The problem I had though happened when my grandma passed away and I realized I had never asked her to teach me how to make everything. It broke my heart thinking that I had missed that connection to her. Luckily for me though her sister, my great-aunt known to all of us as Auntie was willing to teach those of us that wanted to learn. She taught us how to cook meats, make tamales, how to make homemade tortillas and I can never thank her enough for it. These last few years though I have enjoyed experimenting with Mexican ingredients to incorporate them into more meals for my family. One such recipe is my Zesty Chicken and Refried Bean Tortas that I make with La Morena products.
What’s a torta you ask? The word torta is a Spanish, Italian and Portuguese word that has many culinary meanings. In Mexico, tortas are a type of sandwich that come in many forms. For my version I make a zesty paste marinade and coat chicken with it and then grill it up. I then garnish the torta with La Morena Refried Beans and other toppings. This is a particular favorite with my family and truly makes a great dinner or is perfect for watching your favorite sports team with some guests. You can set up a torta bar and let them all top their tortas any way they like.
To get all the supplies I needed to make this dish I headed to my local Pete’s Fresh Market and found everything I would need including my La Morena Refried Beans and Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce.
- 7oz. can La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1/2 of a 4oz. can fire roasted green chiles
- 1/4 of a large Spanish Onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- Remove the chipotle peppers from the adobo sauceand place the peppers in a bowl. Press the peppers to remove as much of the sauce as possible. Discard or save the peppers for another recipe.
- In the bowl of a food processor or in a blender pulse together the adobo sauce, green chiles, onion, garlic and all of the dry seasonings. With the blender or food processor running slowly pour in the oil. Mix just until the oil is incorporated. This will be a thick marinade.
- Marinate 2-3 lbs. of chicken with 1/2 cup of the marinade. The remainder of the marinade can be stored in a baggie and frozen for later use.
- This is spicy and you are working with peppers. Be sure to wear gloves to protect your skin and avoid touching your face and eyes.
- 2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 c. Zesty, Mexican Chicken Marinade
- 4-6 Telera or Bolillo rolls
- La Morena Refried Beans
- Spanish onion, diced
- Queso Fresco
- In a large plastic baggie place the chicken and cover with the marinade. Seal the bag and be sure that all of the chicken is covered with the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan. If using a grill pan spray with some olive oil. Cook the chicken until cooked completely through. Times will vary depending on the size of the pieces. While the chicken is cooking heat the refried beans. Dice the cooked chicken into cubes.
- Slice the rolls open and spread on some of the refried beans. Next add on your chicken and then top with cilantro, onion and queso fresco.
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Margarita Cupcakes- a Sweet Treat Inspired by a Tasty Drink - April 23, 2017
- PEEPS® the Iconic Easter Candy - April 1, 2017
- Beauty and the Beast $25 Sephora Gift Card Giveaway - March 7, 2017