Each April 30th, Día del Niño, or Day of the Child is celebrated throughout Mexico to honor and appreciate children. It’s a time for families to come together and enjoy some time together cooking in the kitchen. Together with HERDEZ® Brand I’m going to show you how you and your niños can make a quick, easy and kid-friendly meal of 30 minute chicken flautas.
I think it’s pretty clear just from the blog here that I love to cook and bake with my kids. When you cook with your kids you don’t need big elaborate meals with everything from scratch and hours of work. Nope, simple ingredients and shortcuts can make meal prep a breeze and make cooking with the kids a snap!
HERDEZ® Salsa Verde provides a delicious and flavorful base for these chicken flautas. The salsa verde also compliments the chicken wonderfully. A sprinkling of additional seasonings and you’ve got the makings of a delicious meal. All you need now is the meat.
One of the greatest things you will ever find in your local grocery store is rotisserie chicken. It’s already cooked, inexpensive and more versatile than you can imagine.
Shred the rotisserie chicken, mix in the flavorful Herdez Salsa Verde and spices and your filling is all ready for your flautas.
Grab some corn tortillas, fill and roll.
- Vegetable or canola oil for cooking
- 3 c. rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. HERDEZ® Brand Salsa Verde
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, seasonings, spices and salsa verde. Place a heaping spoonful of meat onto a tortilla. Roll the tortilla and use a toothpick to hold it closed.
- Fill a large pot with enough oil so that it's 2" deep. Heat the oil to 375°.
- Using tongs, carefully place one of the rolled flautas into the oil. Continue to hold the flauta with the tongs for a minute. Finish frying and then move the flautas to a paper towel lined plate.
Who’s ready for some Día del Niño giveaway fun?
You can enter the Celebrate Your Chef Giveaway on the HERDEZ® Brand Facebook and Instagram for a chance to win one of the following prizes:
– Grand Prize: 2 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $1000
– 2nd Place: 1 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $300
– 3rd Place: Child cooking gift basket
– Weekly prizes/honorable mentions: Child size Día del Niño apron.
Additionally, there will also be Weekly Día del Niño Trivia questions on the HERDEZ® brand Facebook giving fans another opportunity to win a child size Día del Niño apron.
Latest posts by Jennifer Wieland (see all)
- Keeping My Poise® Through LBL at the Gym - June 8, 2018
- Skip the Check with These 10 Cheesecake Factory Copycat Recipes - June 6, 2018
- 5 Must Know Plastic Wrap Hacks for Your Kitchen - April 19, 2018